Updated date – 06/02/2016
CHAPTER 1 GENERAL RULES
ARTICLE 1 (Title and Location)
The association shall be titled to Korean Academy of Scientists and Engineers in Australasia (KASEA here after) and the headquarters shall be located in Sydney, Australia.
ARTICLE 2 (Statement of Purpose)
KASEA is a non-profit organisation which aims to achieve the following goals:
1. To promote academic and scholarly cooperation among Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries in science and engineering.
2. To contribute to the social welfare of Korean community in Australasia.
3. To enhance friendship and fellowship among KASEA members.
ARTICLE 3 (Programs)
To achieve aforementioned goals, KASEA will conduct the following programs:
1. Activities to promote scholarly cooperation and to enhance friendship among international research institutes, governments, universities, and industries including Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries.
2. Cooperation and collaboration with other associations with similar purposes
3. Technical conference, symposiums, and workshops
4. Other activities to meet with the goals of KASEA
ARTICLE 4 (Local Chapters)
Each State or Territory of Australia and New Zealand can have a local chapter.
ARTICLE 5 (Fiscal Year)
The fiscal year of KASEA shall commence 1 Jan and end 31 Dec.
ARTICLE 6 (Amendment of Bylaw)
The Council may recommend amendments to the bylaws. The amendments shall be submitted to the members 3 months prior to the Council meeting and required approval of at least 2/3 of the total votes cast of the Council.
ARTICLE 7 (Establishment of bylaws)
1. Details of bylaws are determined by the detailed rule.
2. Detailed rules are able to be established and amended only when two thirds of committee and directors approve.
3. Detailed rules approved by the directors have priority against the rules approved by the committee.
CHAPTER 2 MEMBERSHIP
ARTICLE 8 (Membership Category)
KASEA memberships shall consist of the following categories:
1. Regular Member
2. Student Member
3. Honorary Member
ARTICLE 9 (Regular Member)
A regular member shall be a Korean residing in Australia or New Zealand, with at least a master degree or equivalent, who is engaged in science, engineering, or a related field.
ARTICLE 10 (Student Member)
A student member shall be a Korean student in an Australian/New Zealand tertiary school, who is pursuing a bachelor or a master’s degree in science, engineering, or a related field.
ARTICLE 11 (Honorary Member)
The council shall approve an honorary member, who has made substantial contributions to science, engineering, or a related field.
ARTICLE 12 (Admission)
To become a KASEA member the prospective member must submit the membership application form and the annual dues.
ARTICLE 13 (Membership Dues)
The annual dues, determined by the Council for each membership category, shall be paid to hold a membership.
ARTICLE 14 (Disciplinary Actions)
The Council may suspend all rights and privileges of membership or expel any member who obstructs KASEA’s programs or disgraces KASEA’s reputation.
CHAPTER 3 OFFICE-BEARERS, COMMITTEE and COUNCIL
ARTICLE 15 (Office-bearers)
1. The office-bearers of KASEA who shall manage the affairs of the KASEA are to be President (1), President-Elect (1), Vice-President (1), Auditor (1), Secretary (1) and Treasurer (1).
2. The Council elects the President, President-Elect, Vice-President, Auditor, Secretary, and Treasurer. The term of all office-bearers is two years and the President cannot be re-elected for two consecutive terms. The President-Elect shall be elected one year prior to the end of the term of the current President.
ARTICLE 16 (Management Committee)
1. The Management Committee is to consist of the office-bears and up to the five members who are appointed by the President. The President shall summon the Management Committee.
2. The Management Committee shall deliberate and manage the programs of KASEA.
ARTICLE 17 (Special Committee)
1. The Council may establish the Special Committee.
2. The Executive committee shall nominate members of the Special Committee.
ARTICLE 18 (Council)
The Council may elect the member of the Council for five years of term. The first Congress may elect the founding member of the Council for three years of term.
ARTICLE 19 (Advisor)
The President, during his/her term, may nominate the Advisors.
CHAPTER 4 MEETING
ARTICLE 20 (Annual Congress)
KASEA should hold Annual Congress. The notice of the Annual Congress shall be issued not less than three months prior to the Congress.
ARTICLE 21 (Council Meeting)
1. The Annual Council Meeting shall be hold during the Annual Congress. The Council Members shall be notified not less than one month prior to the meeting.
2. The quorum of the Annual Council Meeting shall require the attendance of at least 2/3 of the total Council members. A letter of proxy may be regarded as an attendance. In case of the insufficient quorum, the Management Committee shall conduct the programs of the KASEA and the Council Meeting shall be hold within one month after the original meeting.
ARTICLE 22 (Extraordinary Council Meeting)
1. The President shall initiate the Extraordinary Council Meeting upon the request from the President or five or more Council Members.
2. Only the agenda submitted for the Extraordinary Council Meeting shall be decided in the Meeting.
ARTICLE 23 (Voting)
All agenda shall be decided by a majority of the votes cast except otherwise provided by these Bylaws. In case of a tie vote, the President shall have the casting vote.
CHAPTER 5 FINANCE
ARTICLE 24 (Income)
KASEA has the following sources of income and all expenses of KASEA shall be paid using these sources:
1. Membership fees and donations
2. Contribution from the Korean government
3. Sponsorships from individuals and corporations
4. Other sources of income derived from KASEA businesses
ARTICLE 25 (Accounting)
1. The Treasurer shall report the annual financial statement to the Auditor.
2. The President shall submit the audited annual financial statement to the Annual Council meeting in order to requisite an approval.
CHAPTER 6 MISCELLANEOUS
ARTICLE 26 (Miscellaneous)
1. Other matters may follow the NSW Model rules for incorporated associations
under the Associations Incorporation Act, 1984 (FT119) or a general rule.
2. These Bylaws or any amendment to the Bylaws shall be effective immediately upon the approval in the Congress.
Rules for Operation – Chapter 3 Article 18 (Regulations for process of Directors election)
Updated date – 06/02/2016
ARTICLE 1 (Requirement for director’s recommendation)
1. Basic requirements for director’s recommendation are: director’s recommendation, candidate himself, regional manager or regional director’s recommendation.
ARTICLE 2 (Basic qualification requirement to be a director)
1. New appointed director’s basic requirement is restricted to regular member.
ARTICLE 3 (Establish director appointment procedure’s recommendation format as bylaw’s annexe)
1. Reference for new appointed director candidate
(1) Check-listA for new appointed director recommendation
2. Director reference evaluation sheet
ARTICLE 4 (Director appointment process)
1. New appointed director recommender and candidate submit candidate reference to the chair.
2. The chair submit it to the committee with branch office’s opinion.
3. The chair submit the director recommendation evaluation sheet with committee’s opinion to the board of directors.
4. Sensitive information such as personal information are only shared between the committee.
ARTICLE 5 (Periodical board of directors recommend and appoint the new director)
1. New appointed directors are able to attend to the board of directors in their first year, but the attendance cost is not supported.
2. For the attendance to the board of directors, new appointed directors should manage director appointment item as early phase item.
ARTICLE 6 (If a director missed more than 50% of the regular board meetings without any justifiable cause during the term of office, he/she is unable to be recommended to be a director within 2 years after the term in office)
ARTICLE 7 (Director’s reappointments are decided by the board of directors without considering director recommendation)
Bylaws – 11/02/2015 (Korean)
Bylaws – 17/02/2014 (Korean)